One Major Effect Coffee Has on Weight Loss, Dietitian Says
It's the most-sipped beverage in the world next to water, and it's no wonder so many of us love it: That's right, it's coffee. In addition to the recent discovery of the link between coffee and liver health, and the even newer study that suggests coffee may help prevent COVID-19, now a dietitian is giving us one more reason to pour that beautiful brew. If you've been curious about whether coffee can help you lose weight, you've been right. A dietitian for the Mayo Clinic is revealing how it happens.
Katherine Zeratsky, RD, LD is a registered dietitian at the Mayo Clinic. Zeratsky recently took to the renowned health system's blog to reveal several ways coffee may play a role in boosting your weight-loss efforts. Keep reading to understand how coffee can support weight loss, and don't miss One Secret Fitness Trick That Can Add Years to Your Life, Says Top Trainer.
Coffee supports weight loss by temporarily suppressing appetite.
Though we don't suggest that the healthiest way to lose weight is to stop eating, you might find that quieting your appetite slightly when it's growling can help you from overdoing it next time you sit down to a meal. Zeratsky says: "Caffeine may reduce feelings of hunger and your desire to eat for a brief time."
Caffeine helps the body burn calories—even while you're taking a rest.
Especially for those of us who work in some activity most every day, we all need a little rest on occasion. Thanks to its impact on the body's thermogenesis process (more on that here), coffee can help your metabolism stay active when you do. Check out other ways you can help your body burn fat even while you're taking it easy.
Coffee boosts weight loss by acting as a stimulant.
It's true: As Zeratsky explains, just by definition, caffeine's role as a stimulant can bring greater efficiency to the body's calorie-burning capacity.
Still, it's wise to get advice.
You might be inspired to brew a fresh cup now… but, as you consider any habit that could impact your health—coffee-drinking and losing weight included—it's always best to talk with your healthcare provider to choose the routine that's right for you.
For more like this, get the Eat This, Not That! newsletter and read up on The 3 Best Drinks to Speed Up Your Metabolism, According to Experts.
- This Is the Exact Amount of Alcohol That Derails Weight Loss, New Study Says
- The Best Supplements to Take When Exercising for Weight Loss
- The #1 Worst Breakfast at Starbucks, Says a Dietitian
- The #1 Healthiest Dessert at the Cheesecake Factory, Dietitian Says
More content from Weight Loss
- – Best Eating Habits from 7 People Who Successfully Lost Belly Fat
- – 19 Weight Loss Foods That Really Work, Say Experts
- – 6 Ways Eating Quinoa Helps You Lose Weight, Say Dietitians
- – 5 Best Dessert Habits to Lose Belly Fat, Say Dietitians
- – This Popular Diet Doesn't Actually Work, Says New Study
- – The Verdict on Drinking Smoothies for Weight Loss, Say Experts
- – People Who Lost 20+ Pounds Swear By These 13 Weight Loss Tips
- – Secret Side Effects of Skipping Breakfast, According to Research