Costco Just Raised The Price of These Two Food Court Staples
Costco's acclaimed food courts are a consistently hot topic of conversation in the grocery rumor mill. From price increases to new items, any hint at a menu change sends the internet into a frenzy, and one rumor recently posted on Reddit has now been confirmed.
Costco has lifted the price of its fan-favorite chicken bake—a hand-rolled crust filled with cheese, chicken, bacon, and caesar dressing—from $2.99 to $3.99. And, the store's classic 20-ounce soda now sells for $0.69 a pop (pun intended), compared to its former price of $0.59.
Business Insider was able to verify this information with phone calls to multiple locations where workers explained that the change was a 'national update'. Eat This, Not That! additionally reached out to Costco for confirmation, but has not yet received a response.
The big-box retailer hasn't been exempt from the pressures of inflation and growing food prices, and the food court's latest round of adjustments is likely a reflection of this reality. According to the Consumer Price Index, chicken reached a 17.4% year-over-year increase in May, and prices are expected to rise further in 2022 with the ongoing bird flu outbreak. The cost of cheese has also seen an almost 9 percent increase in 2022.
Pepsi—the soft drink brand carried at Costco food courts—has additionally undergone several rounds of price increases this year in order to get ahead of higher costs of transportation and raw materials.
The chicken bake and 20-ounce soda aren't the only Costco items which have seen a price tag change either. Earlier this year, the store's famed Kirkland brand croissants and muffins were each raised by a margin of $1.00, and price inflation across the entire warehouse reached about 6% in Q2 2022.
Despite these changes, a few beloved Costco items are still holding strong at their original low prices. Shoppers will be happy to know they can still snag a food court hot dog for $1.50, a slice of pizza for $1.99, or a rotisserie chicken for $4.99–even as the cost of poultry reaches new highs.
More content from Groceries
- – The Baguette Was Just Declared an Important Cultural Legacy by UNESCO
- – Walgreens Just Launched a New Super Speedy, 24-Hour Delivery Service
- – Trader Joe's Shoppers Are Reporting an Abundance of Holiday Items
- – The 7 Craziest Food Lawsuits of 2022, From Velveeta to Pop-Tarts
- – Reminder: You're Buying Things at Costco That You Don't Need
- – Trader Joe's Ranks Highest for "Brand Intimacy," New Study Says—But What is That?
- – Enoki Mushroom Is the Most Recalled Food Of the Year
- – 34 Items Costco Is Discontinuing This Winter