Trader Joe's Is Warning Customers About This Potentially Dangerous Item
Less than two months after recalling its lemony Arugula Basil Salad Kit, Trader Joe's is pulling another salad from its shelves.
Yesterday, the grocery chain announced that its ready-to-eat "Caesar Salad with White Chicken Meat and Creamy Caesar Dressing" may contain undeclared egg—a known allergen. This product, which bears the establishment number "P-46987" inside the USDA mark of inspection, was only sold in Idaho, Oregon, and Washington stores.
The salads were produced on July 5 and packaged in nine-ounce plastic clamshell containers with "Best By" dates of 7/11/2022 and 7/12/2022. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS), the issue was detected when a store informed the producing establishment that the product's salad dressing packets appeared incorrect.
"The dressing packets with the salad contain Sweet and Spicy Vinaigrette and not the Creamy Caesar Dressing. These dressing packets are unlabeled and contain egg, which is not declared on the finished product packaging," the FSIS wrote in its announcement.
The agency also noted that a recall was not requested because the salads are no longer available for purchase.
Although there have been no reports of illness or allergic reactions, Trader Joe's urges customers not to eat the product if they have an egg allergy. Those who still have the salad should throw it away or return it to any Trader Joe's location for a full refund.
If you have any additional questions about this public health alert, you may contact Trader Joe's Customer Relations at (626) 599-3817 Monday through Friday from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time or send the grocery chain an email.
Unfortunately, this isn't the only ready-to-eat item being taken off the shelves. Hy-Vee recently issued a recall of its potato salad varieties, "due to a presumptive positive microbial result on the line that the potatoes were processed on."
More content from Groceries
- – The Best Yogurt To Lower Your Cholesterol, Dietitians Say
- – This Beloved Grocery Chain Is Cutting the Prices Of More Than 100 Items
- – Butter Boards Are Everywhere, But a Major Ingredient Shortage May Soon Dampen the Trend
- – 9 Secrets You Never Knew About Hershey's
- – 6 Store-Bought Salsas With The Highest Quality Ingredients
- – 5 Truths About the Meat Industry That Will Make You Lose Your Appetite
- – 5 Pre-Packaged Meats To Stay Away From Right Now
- – 10 Ice Cream Brands That Use the Lowest Quality Ingredients