Paleo Avocado-Berry Smoothie
Adding avocado to a smoothie, especially a paleo smoothie, is the move on many levels. It will marry nicely with any milk you use and create a silky and creamy blank canvas for other flavors in your smoothie, like fruits and berries. Not to mention, avocado is a star ingredient of the paleo diet because of its high healthy fat content and nutrient density, producing longer-lasting energy for our bodies. Plus, it's very low in carbs and it's also sugar-, sodium-, and cholesterol-free. This is the kind of nutritional jackpot that only animal products like grass-fed meat, dairy, and eggs can compete with, so it's not surprising that avocado is a prized ingredient for vegans, too. Come on, is there anything avocado can't do?
Because avocado is technically a berry, it fits right into this berry-forward smoothie. Berries have a good reputation in the fruit category because they are one of the few fruits that we haven't genetically modified to be larger and sweeter over the years. They are actually much lower in sugar content than other fruits and fall on the low-carb side of the fruit scale. That being said, feel free to swap them out for another favorite fruit blend, like mango, peach, strawberry, or pineapple, especially if you'd like a sweeter smoothie without adding sweeteners.
Don't skip the chia seeds though: they're a superfood in their own right. They're a powerful source of fiber and omega-3 fatty acids, and a steady source of energy that will keep you powered until lunch time without spiking your blood sugar levels. They'll also add to the texture of your smoothie as they blend up smoothly and gel with the liquid, making your smoothie super-thick and luxurious.
Makes 1 serving
1/4 cup frozen raspberries
1/4 cup frozen blueberries
1/4 cup frozen blackberries
1/2 cup cashew milk
1/2 Tbsp chia seeds
Pinch kosher salt
How to Make It
- In a blender, combine avocado, frozen berries, cashew milk, chia seeds, and salt and puree until smooth. Add in the ice and blend until desired consistency is reached.
More content from Recipes
- – 18 Dishes You Never Knew You Could Make in a Slow Cooker
- – 13 Cozy Breakfasts To Make This Fall
- – 13 Cozy Breakfast Recipes Perfect for Weight Loss This Fall
- – 10 Popular "Midwestern" Dishes That Aren't Actually From the Midwest
- – Copycat Healthy Blueberry "Pop-Tarts" Recipe
- – Wild Blueberry Walnut Smoothie
- – This Nifty Trick Will Make Perfect Pancakes Every Time
- – 21 Unexpected Slow Cooker Oatmeal Recipes