For years now, hash has carried a certain negative connotation, conjuring up images of either murky, over-salted slop eaten from a can or a group of hippies. The former can be made from any combination of protein and vegetables, and by replacing the beef with lean chunks of chicken sausage and the greasy spuds with crispy sweet potato nuggets and bell pepper, you end up with a whole that is far greater than the sum of its parts. Served with a Bloody Mary chaser, this is exactly the kind of meal you want for breakfast that will soak up the excesses of a big night out.
Nutrition: 230 calories, 11 g fat (4.5 g saturated), 290 mg sodium
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1⁄4" cubes
1⁄2 Tbsp olive oil
2 links uncooked chicken sausage (chicken-apple works nicely)
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1⁄8 tsp cayenne pepper
Salt and black pepper to taste
4 eggs, fried sunny-side up
How to Make It
- Place the potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender, about 10 minutes. Drain.
- Heat the oil in a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cut open the sausage casing and squeeze the meat directly into the pan, discarding the casing. Sauté for 4 to 5 minutes, until the meat is cooked through. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same pan, add the reserved sweet potatoes, the onion, and red pepper. Cook until the potatoes and vegetables are browned, about 7 minutes. Return the sausage to the pan, season with the cayenne and salt and pepper, and stir to mix.
- Divide the hash among four plates or bowls. Top each serving with a fried egg and Tabasco.
Eat This Tip
Want to make perfect fried eggs? Impatience is the easiest way to ensure a tough, underwhelming egg. Here's the secret to getting those perfect crispy edges and gooey insides.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat and add just enough butter or olive oil to lightly coat the pan.
- Crack the eggs directly into the pan and let them sit undisturbed until the whites fully coagulate, but the yolks are still wobbly, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.