Protein-Packed Turkey BLT Salad Recipe
Bacon, lettuce, and tomato may be the finest combination ever introduced to sliced bread (sorry, PB&J…but you are a close second), but that doesn't mean you need a sandwich to make this cozy relationship work. By turning the bread into crunchy croutons and the lettuce into the base of a salad, you minimize the refined carbs and maximize the healthiest part of the equation. Toss in a handful of cubed deli turkey to boost the protein, and suddenly you have a salad with substance and style to tuck into. This turkey BLT salad is a far cry from a boring desk salad.
Nutrition: 230 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated), 910 mg sodium
2 slices whole-wheat bread, cut into cubes
1⁄2 Tbsp olive oil
4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 large tomato, chopped
1⁄2 English cucumber, chopped
8 oz roast turkey from the deli, cut into cubes
1 large head romaine lettuce, chopped
Low-fat ranch dressing (we like Bolthouse Farms) or Homemade Ranch (see the Eat This Tip below for recipe)
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Toss the bread cubes with the olive oil, place on a baking sheet, and bake for about 10 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
- Combine the croutons with the bacon, tomato, cucumber, turkey, and romaine in a large salad bowl.
- Toss with just enough dressing to lightly coat the leaves.
- Divide among four plates.
Eat This Tip
Most bottled ranch is an abomination, little more than an amalgamation of low-grade oils and powdered eggs. You might as well be pouring mayonnaise on your salad. This version, spiked with yogurt and fresh herbs, isn't just considerably healthier, it's also about twice as addictive (which can be a good thing and a bad thing).
All you need is:
- 1⁄2 cup Greek-style yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp chopped scallions or chives
- 1⁄2 tsp garlic salt
- Black pepper to taste
Place all ingredients in a food processor, and pulse until thoroughly blended. It'll keep for 1 week covered in the refrigerator. Add it to this turkey BLT salad for a healthified home version of ranch dressing. You can also dip fresh veggies into it, too!
More content from Recipes
- – 18 Dishes You Never Knew You Could Make in a Slow Cooker
- – 16 Old-Fashioned Lunch Recipes That Will Save You Money
- – I Tried Making Kevin's Famous Chili From 'The Office'—Here's What Happened
- – 8 "Southern" Foods That Aren't Actually From the South
- – 13 Cozy Breakfasts To Make This Fall
- – 8 Sheet-Pan Recipes That Fight Inflammation
- – 65 Cozy Comfort Foods That Also Help With Weight Loss
- – 9 Secrets for Cooking the Best Steak That Only Chefs Know