This Coffee Habit You Haven't Tried Could Extend Your Life, Says Study
If you're like most people, you start your day either as a coffee person or a tea person. But according to a study published in the journal BMJ Open Diabetes Research & Care, it could benefit your health—and potentially extend your life—to become both. After analyzing the effects of green tea and coffee consumption among a large sample size of nearly 5,000 diabetic adults, a team of researchers in Japan observed that the risks of premature death were the lowest among the study participants who drank both four cups of tea and two cups of coffee every day. Read on for more about this study, and for some important tips you need to know regarding your daily pick-me-up, make sure you're aware of The Most Dangerous Way to Drink Your Coffee, According to Science.
The health benefits of drinking tea and coffee daily and in moderation are well-known. Both drinks can help you regulate your weight, optimize your metabolism, keep you alert, and boost your brain health. But this new study is one of the first to look into the health effects on diabetics of combining the drinks into a single diet.
Over the course of five years, researchers in Japan provided questionnaires to nearly 5,000 study participants who had enrolled in The Fukuoka Diabetes Registry. The questions involved diet and lifestyle topics, probing into how much the study participants exercised, smoked, slept, and consumed coffee and green tea on a daily basis. By the end of the study, 309 of the people had died.
The study concluded that those who drank one cup of green tea every day had a 15% lower chance of early death, those drinking two to three cups had a 27% lower chance, and those drinking four cups had a 40% lower chance of early death. In the case of coffee, drinking one cup per day was observed to have a 19% lower chance of death, and those drinking two cups of coffee per day were associated with 41% lower odds of early death. Ultimately, the people with the lowest odds of early death were those who drank four cups of green tea and two cups of coffee every day.
The researchers concluded: "We found that higher green tea and coffee consumption was significantly associated with decreased all-cause mortality in patients with type 2 diabetes." They also noted that the findings account for other lifestyle factors, including diet, exercise, and other lifestyle choices. "This association remained significant after adjusting for potential confounders: the impact of each beverage on mortality was independent." And for some of the health risks of drinking too much coffee, make sure you're aware of The Dangerous Side Effects of Drinking Too Much Coffee, According to Scientists.