Starbucks Just Partnered With This Mega Grocery Store Chain in Stores
We're not yet counting down to the new year, but some grocery stores are already making futuristic moves. Whole Foods is pulling down the curtain on the top 10 most anticipated food trends for 2022, while another supermarket chain is partnering with Starbucks to create an entirely new shopping experience.
Currently in the middle of a huge expansion, one of Amazon's other grocery store chains is growing its cashierless concept with Starbucks. A Starbucks Pickup with Amazon Go located on 59th Street between Lexington and Park Avenues in New York just opened on Nov. 18, the two companies announced.
Indeed, other supermarkets already have Starbucks locations inside their stores, which allow customers to sip as they shop. But this concept is completely unique because you don't have to open your wallet or even speak to anyone in order to get your favorite latte.
Basically, the grocery store/coffee shop works like this: You can walk inside and pick up the Starbucks peppermint Mocha you ordered ahead using the Starbucks app (or check its status on digital screens). Then you can pick up a few other items like salads or sandwiches before you exit the store without stopping to check out thanks to Amazon's Just Walk Out technology. Items that you take off the shelves are added to your virtual cart, which is paid for using the credit card you have on file.
Here are some more details about the new concept, courtesy of Katie Young, senior vice president of global growth and development at Starbucks:
"The new Starbucks Pickup with Amazon Go is designed to provide our customers with an experience that delivers convenience and connection in an effortless way. Our goal with this new store concept is to give our customers the ability to choose which experience is right for them as they go through their day, whether it is utilizing the Starbucks and Amazon apps to purchase food and beverages on the go, or deciding to stay in the lounge for the traditional third place experience Starbucks is known for."
Said lounge features individual workspaces and expanded tables that include power outlets and USB ports.
This isn't the only Starbucks Pickup with Amazon Go store in the works. The two companies are planning more stores for 2022, including one in the New York Times Building near Times Square.
For more on what's happening at your neighborhood grocery store, check out:
- Shoppers Say These 6 Grocery Items Have Majorly Shrunk in Size
- 5 Recalled Grocery Items to Check Your Kitchen for ASAP
- The Best and Worst Juices At The Grocery Store
And to get all of the latest grocery store news delivered right to your email inbox every day, sign up for our newsletter!
More content from Groceries
- – 5 Truths About the Meat Industry That Will Make You Lose Your Appetite
- – 5 Pre-Packaged Meats To Stay Away From Right Now
- – Here's What Costco Just Said About Membership Fee Increases
- – America's Largest Grocery Chain Is Testing an Innovative Self-Service Feature
- – This Adored Italian Grocery and Restaurant Chain Is About To Embark on a Major Expansion
- – 24 Best Pumpkin Spice Foods You Can Buy Right Now
- – 14 Discontinued Iconic Snacks That Came Back After Popular Demand
- – America's Largest Grocer Is Recalling More Than 20 Ready-To-Eat Products