This Baking Ingredient Sold at Walmart Is Being Recalled After Customer Complaints
If you recently baked at home after purchasing a seasonal ingredient at America's largest retail chain, it's possible that one of the ingredients in your shopping cart may have contained an undeclared allergen.
Peppermint Flavor Baking Chips from Lily's Sweets, which were sold exclusively at Walmart, are being recalled, according to a new announcement posted by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). If you have a severe allergy or sensitivity to soy, you should not eat them.
Lily's said it initiated the recall following consumer reports of white candy pieces inside of the 7-ounce pouches of baking chips. The disc-shaped candies contained soy lecithin—a known allergen—and additional ingredients not included on the packaging. In total, more than 18,800 cases of this baking ingredient are involved in the recall.
"We have determined that the error occurred at a co-manufacturer," the company said in the announcement posted by the FDA. "There have been no reports of illness or injury to date. Lily's is voluntarily recalling the product out of an abundance of caution."
While no illnesses or injuries have been reported, symptoms of a soy allergy or sensitivity include hives or itching in and around the mouth, according to the Mayo Clinic. It could cause a life-threatening allergic reaction.
Impacted items may still be lurking in kitchen pantries, so take a moment to check your baking supplies for this product. They have a UPC code of 8-10003-46159-9 and lot code dates between 01/24/2023 and 02/04/2023. If you purchased this product, you can request a full refund by filling out this contact form.
For more on what's happening at your neighborhood supermarket, check out:
- 5 New Drinks You'll See on Grocery Store Shelves Soon
- Things You'll See in Every Grocery Store This Year, Say Experts
- Grocery Items Are Facing Shortages—Here's How to Still Get Them
- Costco Sold More Rotisserie Chickens in 2021 as Grocery Prices Hit Record Highs
And to get all of the latest Walmart and other grocery store news delivered right to your email inbox every day, sign up for our newsletter!
More content from Groceries
- – This Is America's #1 Best Grocery Store, According to Shoppers
- – Walmart Is Putting Thousands of These Items on Sale, CEO Says
- – Costco Just Expanded This New Member Perk Once Again
- – Costco and Walmart Shoppers Are Noticing This Big Problem in Parking Lots
- – 5 Freezer Aisle Brands to Stay Away From Right Now
- – Costco Just Brought Back This Beloved Mini Bakery Item
- – 8 Secrets Walmart Doesn't Want You to Know
- – The Price of This Costco Deli Item Has Gotten Out of Hand, Members Say