This One Trick Will Make Your Beans Taste Better
When you're tasked with bringing a side dish with beans to an outdoor picnic, how do you make it you know…stand out?
No shade to beans, but they're not the most exciting food on their own, however, the legume is highly nutritious and should be enjoyed regularly. Blue Apron Nutritionist Jessica Halper, MPH, RNutr has just the trick for jazzing up a can of black beans, too. The secret? Pick your favorite seasoning, a jar of olive oil, and a saucepan. (Related: 100 Easiest Recipes You Can Make)
"The mixture of seasoning and black beans creates a smoky, spicy, and rich filling as a base for tacos, flautas, a vegetable skillet, or plant-based quinoa bowl," she says. "Another simple but tasty trick, mixing black beans with aromatics like chopped garlic or sliced scallions elevate their flavor."
Consider adding a mix of chili and garlic powders, black pepper, and a dash of sea salt to your black beans for a quick, robust seasoning. Another idea? Blue Apron's Black Bean & Smoked Gouda Flautas recipe calls for a Mexican Spice Blend, complete with ancho chile powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, ground cumin, and dried Mexican oregano.
Black beans also provide a host of health benefits, so now that you have a few pointers on how to season them, you may be more apt to incorporate them into more meals and more regularly.
"Beans are a protein-packed superfood that are loaded with antioxidants, fiber, vitamins, and minerals that can help improve inflammation and gut health, among many other health benefits," says Halper.
Here's to more flavorful beans! For more, be sure to check out 17 Delicious Recipes Featuring a Simple Can of Beans.
More Cooking Hacks on Eat This, Not That!
More content from Healthy Eating
- – 5 Refrigerator Cleaning Hacks To Prep Your Kitchen for the Holidays
- – 5 Easy Recipe Swaps To Make Your Holiday Baking Healthier
- – 6 Healthy Ingredient Swaps Nutrition Pros Swear By for Their Holiday Recipes
- – 12 Time-Saving Tips for Cooking Thanksgiving Dinner, Chefs Say
- – 5 Best Condiments to Help Make Healthy Dinners in a Snap, Says Dietitian
- – Why Your Turkey Always Dries Out—And How to Avoid It, Says Chef
- – One Scratch on a Nonstick Pan Can Release 9,100 Plastic Particles, New Study Finds
- – 5 Things You're Doing Wrong When Cooking a Steak, According to Chefs