Turkey and Two-Bean Chili Recipe
Turn your slow cooker into your weight-loss partner. On days when you are crunched for time, it takes 20 minutes or less to "prep and dump" anti-inflammatory ingredients like beans, peppers, mushrooms, and turkey breast into a slow cooker pot and, you know, set it and forget it until you come home from work. For an antioxidant booster, add a crisp green salad as a side dish.
Cook time: 6 hours 40 minutes
- 1 19.2-ounce package ground turkey breast
- 1 8-ounce package. cremini mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 28-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 6-ounce can no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- Green onions, fresh cilantro, and lime wedges
How to Make It
- In a large nonstick skillet cook turkey and mushrooms over medium until turkey is no longer pink, stirring to break apart. Drain. Place in a 4- to 5-qt. slow cooker. Add tomatoes, both beans, onion, bell pepper, tomato paste, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, chipotle chile, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours or high 3 to 4 hours. If using low, turn cooker to high, stir in zucchini and cover and cook 30 minutes more or until tender.
- Top as desired with green onions, cilantro, and lime wedges.
nutrition per serving: 298 calories, 2 g fat (0 g saturated fat), 521 mg sodium, 12 g sugar, 12 g fiber, 34 g protein[/nutrinfo-black]
For more healthy eating news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!
Read this next:
- 13 Cozy Copycat Soup & Chili Recipes Perfect for Weight Loss This Winter
- The #1 Best Canned Soup for Weight Loss, Says Nutritionist
- Soup-Eating Habits Wrecking Your Weight Loss Efforts, Say Dietitians