Turkey and Two-Bean Chili Recipe
Your standard bowl of chili gets a weight loss-promoting upgrade.
Turn your slow cooker into your weight-loss partner. On days when you are crunched for time, it takes 20 minutes or less to "prep and dump" anti-inflammatory ingredients like beans, peppers, mushrooms, and turkey breast into a slow cooker pot and, you know, set it and forget it until you come home from work. For an antioxidant booster, add a crisp green salad as a side dish.
Cook time: 6 hours 40 minutes
- 1 19.2-ounce package ground turkey breast
- 1 8-ounce package. cremini mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 28-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 6-ounce can no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- Green onions, fresh cilantro, and lime wedges
How to Make It
- In a large nonstick skillet cook turkey and mushrooms over medium until turkey is no longer pink, stirring to break apart. Drain. Place in a 4- to 5-qt. slow cooker. Add tomatoes, both beans, onion, bell pepper, tomato paste, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, chipotle chile, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours or high 3 to 4 hours. If using low, turn cooker to high, stir in zucchini and cover and cook 30 minutes more or until tender.
- Top as desired with green onions, cilantro, and lime wedges.
nutrition per serving: 298 calories, 2 g fat (0 g saturated fat), 521 mg sodium, 12 g sugar, 12 g fiber, 34 g protein[/nutrinfo-black]
For more healthy eating news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!
Read this next:
Eat This, Not That!
Inspired by The New York Times best-selling book series, Eat This, Not That! is a brand that's comprised of an award-winning team of journalists and board-certified experts, doctors, nutritionists, chefs, personal trainers, and dietitians who work together to bring you accurate, timely, informative, and actionable content on food, nutrition, dieting, weight loss, health, wellness, and more. Read more about Eat This