The #1 Workout To Get Fit Like a Superhero, Celeb Trainer Says
It's no secret that some of our favorite superheroes like Chris Hemsworth's Thor, Hugh Jackman's Wolverine, and Chris Evans' Captain America have absolutely shredded, enviable physiques. If you're looking to up your workout game and get into tip-top shape just like these icons on the big screen have, listen up. We chatted with Luke Zocchi, Head Trainer at Centr and Chris Hemsworth's Personal Trainer, who has the details on how to get fit like a superhero.
Zocchi reveals a total-body, minimal-equipment routine Hemsworth did as a quick pump-up before filming some of the shirtless scenes for "Thor: Love and Thunder." Read on to learn more, and next, don't miss The 6 Best Exercises for Strong and Toned Arms in 2022, Trainer Says.
It takes heavy lifting to get into "Thor" shape
It takes a lot of heavy lifting to get into superhero "Thor" shape, and Hemsworth's chiseled muscles are living proof. Zocchi reveals that for "Thor: Love and Thunder," Hemsworth's training consisted of workouts dedicated to a certain body part.
Zocchi tells us, "We focused on big lifts at the start of the workout with some heavy drop sets, then we would transition into more isolated movements. During the shoot, Chris would constantly keep a pump on using resistance bands and dumbbells when he would get a chance in between shooting."
In order to get fit like a superhero, muscle-building exercises are key
Zocchi stresses that above all, make sure you're performing each session with correct form in order to achieve noticeable results. He explains that muscle-building movements are the name of the game for those who want to achieve a superhero bod.
"For beginners, I would recommend starting with bodyweight and once you can do 12 to 15 reps comfortably with good form, then increase slowly," he says. "The great thing about Centr Power's program design is that it can be adjusted to anyone's fitness level."
Zocchi says the below routine draws inspiration from the workouts he did with Hemsworth on the set of the newest film. "Every day is different on set, but this 20-minute, full-body workout requires minimal equipment and gets a great pump going."
Are you ready to get fit like a superhero? Check out the below routine, and get that toned bod on!
Here's your superhero-inspired warm-up:
Pushups (5 reps)
- Position a resistance band around your arms for your pushups. Perform this exercise on your knees or in a plank position.
Bent-Over Row (5 reps on each arm)
- Place your foot over a resistance band, and grasp it with your hand, knuckles over, while hinging at your hips and bending forward. Bring your arm up as you squeeze your bicep and back.
Squats (5 reps)
- Let's work those glutes! Place a resistance band around your quads, right above your knees, and pretend you're sitting down in a chair and then rising back up as you perform your squats.
Tricep Curl (5 on each arm)
- Place a resistance band on your left forearm, and bring your left hand to your right shoulder. Grasp the bottom of the resistance band with your right hand, and press down to work your tricep.
- Switching over to the other side, place the resistance band on your right forearm, and bring your right hand to your left shoulder. Grasp the bottom of the resistance band with your left hand, and press down to work your tricep.
Bicep Curl (5 reps on each arm)
- This exercise will have you kneeling on the ground. Position a resistance band underneath your left foot, grasp the top of it with your right hand, and then curl.
- Switching over to the other side, position the resistance band underneath your right foot, grasp the top of the band with your left hand, and then curl.
Reverse Lunges (5 reps on each leg)
- Position a resistance band above your knees, and step back into a lunge position, alternating legs.
Shoulder Lateral Raise (5 reps on each side)
- Put a resistance band around both of your hands, and bring your hand to the front of your body. Make sure one hand stays centered while the other raises laterally to activate your shoulder muscles.
And here's your workout:
Workout (3 sets):
- Pushups (10 reps)
- Bent-Over Row (10 reps on each arm)
- Squats (10 reps)
- Tricep Curl (10 on each arm)
- Bicep Curl (10 reps on each arm)
- Reverse Lunges (10 reps on each leg)
- Shoulder Lateral Raise (10 reps on each side)