The #1 Best Canned Salmon to Buy, Says Dietitian
Between the protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and plenty of other good-for-you nutrients packed into this fish, salmon is often the perfect addition to any meal. Adding some smoked salmon to a breakfast sandwich, topping a salad with it for an on-the-go lunch, or grilling a filet with some veggies for dinner. No matter how or when you eat it, you'll soon be reaping the benefits of your salmon-packed meal.
According to Lisa Moskovitz, RD, CEO of NY Nutrition Group, author of The Core 3 Healthy Eating Plan, and member of our medical expert board, the American Heart Association recommends eating at least a 3-ounce serving of fatty fish, such as salmon, twice a week.
But, the idea of cooking up an entire filet two times per week could be a little daunting, so going for canned salmon makes it even simpler to whip up an easy high-protein meal.
And yet, while grabbing a canned salmon seems easy, choosing which one to grab among numerous options at the grocery store can be a lot more overwhelming than you might think. With so many different types, it's tough to know which can is going to give you the most of those benefits found in a fresh piece of salmon. So which canned salmon does Moskovitz recommend?
Grab wild Alaskan canned salmon if you're substituting for the fresh stuff.
"Not only is wild fish generally richer in beneficial, anti-inflammatory omega-3's, but it also contains fewer contaminants that when eaten in excess, may be harmful to your health," says Moskovitz.
Plus, the more omega-3's in your salmon, the better for both your overall brain and heart health—two of the most important organs in the body. Plus, canned salmon is shelf-stable, so there's no reason not to pop a few in your pantry for the next time you're looking to make a quick, healthy meal.
Not sure what to make with it? Here are 9 Things You Can Make With a Can of Salmon.
More content from Healthy Eating
- – I Tried the Viral Tinned Fish Board From TikTok—Here's Why It Got My Friends Talking
- – 8 Best Foods for When You Feel Your Blood Sugar Crashing
- – Suffer From Migraines? New Study Says Your Eating Habits May Be To Blame
- – Eating More Omega-3s Can Improve Cognitive Function, Study Says
- – 6 Foods To Avoid When You Have a Sore Throat
- – 12 People Who Should Never Drink Coffee, Say Dietitians
- – 3 Dietitians Explain Your Sugar Addiction
- – 5 Eating and Drinking Habits That May Lead to Dry Skin