The #1 Best Smoothie to Lower Cholesterol, Says Dietitian
Smoothies can pack a punch when it comes to giving your body plenty of nutrients and antioxidants. You can make smoothies that help you with your weight loss goals, help boost your immunity, and even help you live a longer life! And, on top of all of that, you can also make smoothies that can improve your heart health and lower your cholesterol.
"The best smoothie to lower cholesterol is one containing ingredients that when consumed consistently and as part of an overall healthy diet and lifestyle, can help improve lipid ratios," says medical board member Laura Burak, MS, RD, author of Slimdown with Smoothies, and founder of Laura Burak Nutrition. "Focus on including foods that contain both fiber and heart-healthy omega-3 fats such as avocados, seeds, nuts, and nut butter as well as fresh or frozen fruits and veggies."
Fiber, omega 3s, and lowering cholesterol
In fact, a study published in British Medical Journal found that eating 70 grams of oats (which contains about 3 grams of fiber) each day lowered LDL "bad" cholesterol and total cholesterol levels.
Omega 3 fatty acids have been known to help lower triglycerides (fat found in your blood) and LDL cholesterol. And a report from Nutrients states that one of the strongest impacts omega-3's have on cholesterol is increasing HDL cholesterol, which is known as the "good" cholesterol in your body.
A heart-healthy smoothie
Burak quite literally wrote the book on healthy smoothie recipes, and she includes some that are beneficial for your heart health.
"One of the most heart-healthy smoothies in my book is aptly named Dr. Jeff's Cardiac Cocktail, after my brother who is a cardiologist. It combines fiber and antioxidant-filled fruits such as watermelon, berries, and kiwi, with pomegranate juice, spinach, and a seed trio."
For even more healthy drinking tips, check out our list of The Best Drinking Habits for Inflammation, Says Dietitian.
More content from Drink This, Not That!
- – 8 5-Ingredient Smoothie Recipes to Lose Abdominal Fat
- – 5 Low-Sugar Smoothies for Rapid Weight Loss
- – The #1 Worst Coffee for High Cholesterol, New Study Says
- – The Best Drinking Habits to Lower Cholesterol After 50, Say Dietitians
- – 5 Best Smoothie Combinations for a Longer Life, Says Dietitian
- – 8 Best Smoothie Recipes to Manage Blood Sugar, Say Dietitians
- – The #1 Best Smoothie Combination for Faster Belly Fat Loss, Say Dietitians
- – Best Smoothie Habits to Shrink Belly Fat, Say Dietitians