Is Matcha Actually Healthier Than Green Tea?
Many people consider matcha to be the ultimate weight loss tea—and for good reason. The powdered green tea leaves contain 137 times as much EGCG (a potent fat-burning antioxidant) as brewable green tea, according to a famous University of Colorado study from 2003. But now, nearly 13 years later, the science buffs at ConsumerLab.com are calling their bluff.
Their new cutting edge study reveals that the most potent matcha brands have just two to three times more EGCG than the most potent brewable green teas—a far cry from the previous report. To come to this finding, the researchers tested the strength and purity of a host of products from popular brands like Lipton, Celestial Seasonings, Bigelow, Teavana and The Republic of Tea. The result: The brewable green teas were found to have between 25 to 86 milligrams of EGCG per serving while matcha products provided anywhere from 17 milligrams to 109 milligrams.
Does this mean you stop shelling out your cash on matcha? Not if you genuinely like it. Although there may be less EGCG in the powder than previously thought, high-grade matcha is still a more potent source of the antioxidant than traditional green tea. To make sure you're getting the most bang for your buck, look for a bright green, sweet-smelling matcha powder that was sourced from Japan—they're known for producing the highest quality stuff. The color is important because the vibrant hue indicates that the plant had proper shade while growing. This means it's packed with plenty of chlorophyll and antioxidants that not only aid weight loss but ward off DNA damage and cancer, too. And speaking of the many benefits of tea, if you're interested in learning more—and slimming down, too—be sure to pick up a copy of The 7-Day Flat-Belly Tea Cleanse! Test panelists lost up to 4 inches from their waist! Available now in paperback!
More content from Weight Loss
- – The 5 All-Time Best Stretches for Weight Loss
- – Up Your Protein With 5 Meals That Melt Stubborn Belly Fat
- – 5 Best Habits to Lose Belly Fat and Actually Keep it Off, Says Science
- – 3 Effective Tips To Lose Face Fat From a Doctor and Trainer
- – The Best Exercises To Get Rid of Holiday Weight Fast, Expert Says
- – The #1 Workout To Get Rid of Your Holiday Gut, Fitness Expert Says
- – 3 Ridiculously Easy Rules To Keep the Holiday Weight Off
- – 6 Ways To Indulge and Still Avoid Weight Gain This Holiday Season