America's Largest Southern Grocery Chain Is Expanding to a New State
Publix is known as a southern grocery store, but the company just announced it's taking its Pub Subs and heading north to its eighth state. The first-ever Publix supermarket and liquor store will open in Kentucky sometime in 2023.
The company recently signed a lease for a 55,000-square-foot store in the Terra Crossing shopping center on Terra Crossing Boulevard and Old Henry Road in Louisville. Publix Liquor will open adjacent to the supermarket and will be the first-of-its-kind stand-alone liquor store outside of the state of Florida, according to a press release. Unlike other states, Kentucky State law says that stores selling a "substantial" number of grocery items are not allowed to hold an alcohol license, forcing companies to separate into two locations dedicated to food items and liquor sales.
Although the new Kentucky Publix won't be the northernmost location (that one is in Fredericksburg, Va.), it will join other Virginia stores as a location far away from the company's headquarters in Lakeland, Fla. This reach so far north is all part of Publix's current expansion.
"Being company owners, Publix associates are committed to providing the highest level of service and quality products to exceed our customers' expectations," says Publix CEO Todd Jones. "Moving into Kentucky is a natural progression for our company, and we are excited to serve and be a part of this vibrant community."
An official opening day will be announced at a later date, depending on construction and permits. The press release also notes that more Kentucky locations could be in the works. "The company is looking forward to growing within the commonwealth and in its current operating area," it says.
For more info about what's happening at the grocery store in your neighborhood, read these next:
- The Best & Worst New Grocery Store Items on the Shelves—Ranked!
- This Grocery Store Chain is Reportedly Opening a Drive-Thru
- These 4 Major Grocery Chains Are Facing Pressure Over Their Rotisserie Chickens
- This Grocery Chain's Produce Is Falling Out of Favor With Customers
And to get all the latest Publix and other grocery store news delivered right to your email inbox every day, sign up for our newsletter!
More content from Groceries
- – Coca-Cola's Newest Soda Just Launched But The Flavor Remains A Mystery
- – Over 13,000 Pounds of This Popular Frozen Pizza Is Being Recalled Because of a Serious Contamination
- – 5 Non-Dairy Milks To Leave on Grocery Store Shelves Right Now
- – The 6 Worst Frozen Dinners To Stay Away From Right Now
- – Trader Joe's Abruptly Closes This Extremely Popular Store
- – Costco Bakery Has Just Brought Back This Beloved Fall Item
- – 5 Popsicle Brands To Stay Away From Right Now
- – These Kroger Locations Will Soon Offer Gambling