Sorghum Stuffed Peppers
Sorghum stuffed peppers is a simple plant-based dish that is made with nutrient-packed ingredients like beans, veggies, and avocado. But the star of the show is the whole grain sorghum that gives this dish plant-based protein, fiber, and B-vitamins.
Bonus—it's naturally gluten-free and non-GMO.
This recipe was originally created for The United Sorghum Checkoff Program.
- 1 cup whole grain sorghum, rinsed
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- Cooking spray
- 4 large red bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped frozen spinach, thawed and patted dry with paper towel
- 1/4 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 avocado, sliced thin
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1 ½ Tbsp diced red onion
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 4 lime wedges, sliced thin
- ¼ cup salsa
How to Make It
- Add chicken broth and water to a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Add sorghum and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 60 minutes, or until sorghum is soft. Remove from heat, fluff with fork, and let cool, at least 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cooked sorghum, salsa, garlic, nutritional yeast, cumin, chili powder, corn, spinach, and pinto beans. Mix until combined.
- Stuff peppers with mixture until all peppers are full, place on baking sheet, and cover with tin foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until peppers are soft.
- Remove from oven. Top each pepper with a dollop of Greek yogurt, avocado slices, a dollop of salsa, red onion, and cilantro. Serve with a lime wedge.
More content from Recipes
- – 27 Creative Ricotta Cheese Recipes (That Aren't Lasagna)
- – 10 Old-Fashioned Dips Made With Healthier Ingredients
- – 10 Healthier Copycat Recipes for Nostalgic Childhood Treats
- – Video Shows Courteney Cox Making the "Greatest Steak of All Time" With Some Unexpected Ingredients
- – 16 Quick & Healthy Soup Recipes That Could Help You Lose Weight
- – 13 Best Chicken Sausage Recipes for Weight Loss
- – 15 Best Old-Fashioned Recipes to Bring Back for Fall
- – 19 Show-Stopping Halloween Party Foods That Will Spook Your Guests