The Worst Cereal You Should Never Eat, According to a Nutritionist
You may think you can't go wrong with a simple bowl of cereal for breakfast, but you can! With over 1000 brands in the U.S. alone, it's easy to see how it's become a billion-dollar industry. With so many cereals out there, Eat This, Not That! found out what the worst cereal is you could eat!
We spoke with Brittany McDonald, a Certified Holistic Nutritionist, to narrow down the worst cereal for you based on nutrition. The winner (in the worst way) is…
Malt-O-Meal's Chocolate Marshmallow Mateys
One serving contains:
With 23 grams of sugar in 1 and 1/4 cups, a grown woman would already have consumed her sugar intake for the day with one serving of this processed chocolate mess. Remember, the daily intake of sugar should be: 25 grams (or 6 teaspoons) for adult women, 36 grams (9 teaspoons) for adult men, and less than 25 grams for kids.
Based on this info, it was an easy decision to make for McDonald to make. The calories may be lower than other cereals such as Kellogg's Smart Start or Raisin Bran, but the other highly processed ingredients make Mateys a showstopper in the disaster category. (For more on this, here's What Happens To Your Body When You Eat Cereal Every Day.)
"This is highly processed with ingredients such as dyes – Yellows 5 & 6, Blue 1, Red 40 – these are known to cause allergies and are connected to ADHD and hyperactivity in children," McDonald told Eat This, Not That!. "There is no true nutrition in this product…I think you'd be safer and get more nutritional value by eating dirt."
Cereal is an easy grab and go and made for convenience, but taking an extra few minutes to prepare a whole food breakfast can make a world of difference, says McDonald. She recommends overnight oats instead.
For more of these breakfast eats to avoid, be sure to read about The Unhealthiest Cereals on the Planet. And for nutritional info on all your favorite foods delivered straight to your email inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter!
More content from Groceries
- – Costco and Walmart Shoppers Are Noticing This Big Problem in Parking Lots
- – 5 Freezer Aisle Brands to Stay Away From Right Now
- – Costco Just Brought Back This Beloved Mini Bakery Item
- – The Price of This Costco Deli Item Has Gotten Out of Hand, Members Say
- – This Beloved Sparkling Water Brand Just Released Four Game-Changing New Drinks
- – This Expanding Costco Rival Doesn't Require a Membership
- – 50 Bottled Drinks to Always Leave on Grocery Store Shelves
- – 6 Most Popular Summer Snacks At Costco Right Now