This Surprising Vegetable Is the New Flour Alternative
Made from drum-dried and milled sweet potatoes, the new alternative tastes a bit like its namesake while still subtle enough to work in both sweet and savory dishes. The tasty flour is also a great option for those following a gluten-free diet and people looking to trim down. Coming in at just 105 calories per quarter cup, sweet potato flour is lower in calories than coconut flour (120 calories), wheat flour (124 calories) and almond flour (150 calories)! It's also packed with vitamins A and C, two nutrients not found in the competition.
The con: Coming in at $10 for an eight-ounce bag, it's a bit more expensive than conventional flour and is still primarily sold online. Still, if sweet potato flour has piqued your interest, we say it's worth a try. Here are a few delicious ways to use it:
Use it to make a pizza crust. Everyone loves pizza. But if you're trying to avoid overly processed carbs, indulging can be a challenge—until now. Check out this easy-to-make sweet potato flour pizza crust to have your cake—er, pizza—and eat it, too.
Use it in pancakes and waffles. In lieu of white flour and sugar, sweeten up your a.m. meal naturally with sweet potato flour.
Use it in cookies. Sweet potato flour is great for holding moisture in baked goods, and its natural sweetness pairs well with chocolate. With that in mind, we love the idea of using the flour for a slimmed-down chocolate cookie. Blogger Raine Barel of Two Kitchens One Lifestyle shares her go-to take on the creation here.
FOR HUNDREDS MORE WEIGHT-LOSS IDEAS, click here for our new book Eat This, Not That! 1,247 Awesome Slimming Swaps. Order now to get your FREE GIFT!
More content from Groceries
- – 10 Worst Beers to Always Leave on Grocery Store Shelves
- – Costco Just Pulled These 4 Items From Warehouses
- – The Most Popular Grocery Store Aisle Isn't What You Think, Says New Report
- – These New 6 Trader Joe's Items Are Worth Buying Right Now
- – This National Grocery Chain Is Doubling Down on Sales Amid Higher Prices
- – The Best-Tasting Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream to Buy Right Now
- – The Best & Worst Barbecue Sauces on Store Shelves, According to RDs
- – Coca-Cola Is Discontinuing This Drink By The End of The Year