The #1 Best Nut to Slow Aging, Says Dietitian
"They are a great source of omega-3s, protein, polyphenols, and vitamin E," says D'Angelo.
Learn more on how these nutrients found in walnuts can help your aging process, and for more healthy aging tips, make sure to check out The Best Foods to Slow Aging After 50.
Walnuts contain omega-3 fatty acids.
According to D'Angelo, "[omega-3 fatty acids] can be a great anti-inflammatory, which can help reduce inflammation in the face, strengthen skin membrane, and provide a glow to your skin."
Not only that, but the Cleveland Clinic says that these fatty acids can also reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, lower triglycerides, and help to reduce stiffening in your arteries that occurs as a result of aging.
Walnuts contain protein.
Walnuts are also a high-protein snack, containing upwards of 15 grams per cup!
D'Angelo says can getting enough protein in your diet as you get older can "help support collagen production in the skin." It has also been found that eating enough protein throughout your day can help prevent age-related muscle loss.
Walnuts are packed with antioxidants.
D'Angelo also notes that walnuts contain a helpful compound called polyphenols.
"This compound has a high antioxidant and anti-inflammatory bioactivity, which can both help boost your immune system and fight infection," she says.
A report from Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity mentions that after years of research and various studies, polyphenols have actually been linked to protection against cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and osteoporosis.
Walnuts are a good source of vitamin E.
Lastly, walnuts are a great source of vitamin E.
"Research has shown that vitamin E can help retain skin moisture and help repair skin tissue, both of which play a major role in helping your skin appear younger," says D'Angelo.
Along with walnuts, here are the 5 Best Nuts for Anti-Aging, According to Dietitians.
More content from Healthy Eating
- – 5 Best Superfoods That Support Liver Health
- – 3 Dietitians Explain Your Sugar Addiction
- – 6 Healthy Ingredient Swaps Nutrition Pros Swear By for Their Holiday Recipes
- – 11 Keto-Friendly Foods That Are Also High in Fiber, Says Dietitian
- – What Is the Sirtfood Diet? Adele's Reported Weight Loss Plan Revealed
- – Here's How Many Calories Are Lurking in Your Thanksgiving Dinner
- – 5 Best Eating Habits To Combat Seasonal Depression
- – 5 Bad Eating Habits That May Cause Hair Loss, Says Dietitian