Paleo Iced Coffee Protein Shake
Though a well-made smoothie can pack plenty of protein, sometimes a drink crammed with frozen fruit just isn't what you're looking for in a morning drink. For a sip that combines your morning caffeine fix with the nutrition of a healthy breakfast, look no further than this paleo-friendly coffee-spiked protein shake. It's frothy, chilled, and a tad sweet—and it might just become your new favorite way to get energized for the day, especially if you're not a big breakfast person. It also works as a pre- and post-workout pick-me-up for when you need something refreshing and light to recuperate.
Adding a date as a natural sweetener to your smoothie will provide long-lasting energy and won't spike your blood sugar levels. Dates are a favorite ingredient among paleo dieters and clean eaters because they are a completely natural, unprocessed sweetener that packs numerous health benefits, including substantial levels of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants. Let's put it this way: Dates are among the best and cleanest sources of sugar.
If you're not a big coffee drinker, you can swap the espresso out of this protein shake recipe for a teaspoon of matcha. Matcha contains roughly half the caffeine of coffee, but its energizing effect builds slower and is longer lasting, so it's a great option for those who feel that coffee is too strong for them.
When it comes to paleo protein powders (or really any protein powder), you should look for one with a short ingredient list. Ancient Nutrition's Multi-Collagen and Bone Broth Protein Powders are great options, as are PaleoPro Protein Powder. If you're looking for a vegetarian option, try Julian Bakery Egg White Protein.
With a shot of caffeine and a boost of protein powder, this get-you-out-the-door-quick breakfast is just what you've been looking for.
Makes 1 serving
2 Tbsp paleo vanilla or plain protein powder
1 cup cashew milk
1 shot espresso
1/2 Medjool date
How to Make It
1. In a blender, combine protein powder, cashew milk, espresso shot, and date and purée until smooth. Blend in ice until desired consistency is reached.
More content from Recipes
- – Blended Banana Iced Coffee Recipe
- – 12 Surprising Recipes That Every Coffee Lover Needs to Try Immediately
- – The #1 Secret for the Best Espresso Martini, Say Experts
- – 15 Coffee Recipes You Need to Try
- – 13 Best Protein Shake Recipes for Weight Loss
- – The Perfect Irish Whiskey Coffee Recipe
- – 21 Life-Changing Hacks for Using Your Leftover Coffee
- – 12 Tastiest Homemade Coffee Drinks From a Nutritionist