The #1 Best Protein Powder for Weight Loss, Says Dietitian
If you're trying to shed a few pounds, chances are you've considered increasing your protein intake as a means of doing so. For those who aren't sold on the idea of loading their diet with eggs, meat, and cheese, incorporating some protein powder into your everyday routine is a quick and easy way to boost your protein intake without spending hours cooking.
However, with so many types of protein powder on the market—and with many varieties being high in calories, sugar, and other weight loss-hindering additives—it's not always easy to determine the best protein powder for your weight loss goals.
What's the best protein powder for weight loss?
Mackenzie Burgess, RDN, a registered dietitian nutritionist and recipe developer at Cheerful Choices, says there's one particular protein powder that stands out in terms of its nutritional benefits: Naked Nutrition Whey Protein.
"One of my favorite protein powders to use is Naked Nutrition Whey Protein. I love how this powder contains just one ingredient–grass-fed whey protein concentrate–and packs in 25 grams of protein per serving," Burgess explains. "Research shows that consuming around 25 to 30 grams of protein per meal helps increase satiety and fullness, which can be beneficial for weight loss," Burgess adds, citing 2015 research published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
Is protein powder effective for weight loss?
Whey protein, in particular, may be beneficial for weight loss, research has found. According to a study published in Nutrition & Metabolism, individuals who cut their caloric intake by 500 calories a day and consumed a whey protein drink before breakfast and dinner lost significantly more weight than those who cut the same number of calories but drank a placebo beverage.
How can protein powder be used?
Fortunately, you don't have to limit yourself to just making protein shakes with your whey powder—there's a long list of healthy treats you can add this filling ingredient to.
For more insight into how adding protein powder can benefit your health, check out What Happens To Your Body When You Eat Whey Protein Powder, and for more weight loss tips delivered to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter!
Read this next:
- We Tested 9 Protein Powders, and This One Is the Best
- The One Protein Powder You Should Never Buy, Say Experts
- One Major Side Effect of Using Protein Powder, Says Dietitian
More content from Weight Loss
- – Best Eating Habits from 7 People Who Successfully Lost Belly Fat
- – 19 Weight Loss Foods That Really Work, Say Experts
- – 6 Ways Eating Quinoa Helps You Lose Weight, Say Dietitians
- – 5 Best Dessert Habits to Lose Belly Fat, Say Dietitians
- – This Popular Diet Doesn't Actually Work, Says New Study
- – The Verdict on Drinking Smoothies for Weight Loss, Say Experts
- – People Who Lost 20+ Pounds Swear By These 13 Weight Loss Tips
- – Secret Side Effects of Skipping Breakfast, According to Research