Eating This Before Exercising Will Burn More Fat, Study Finds
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and a new study uncovered exactly what types of foods to eat if you're looking to fuel your morning workout.
The study was published in the latest edition of the journal Nutrients, and it tracked exercise outcomes of 43 healthy, normal-weight adults between the ages of 18 and 35, based on the foods they ate before working out. The results showed that a higher intake of protein was related to burning more fat and staying full longer.
At 9:00 a.m. during the trial, some participants were given a control breakfast (CON) consisting of whole wheat bread, peanut butter, and orange juice. This combo amounts to around 30% fat, 55% carbs, and 15% protein. Others received a high-protein meal replacement (HP-MR) with a strange but effective blend of soy-protein nutritional supplement, olive oil, and low-fat milk that amounts to 27% fat, 30% carbs, and 43% protein. (For more on this, here are 15 Underrated Weight Loss Tips That Actually Work.)
At 10:20 a.m. all participants completed a 40-minute moderate exercise session on a treadmill. Their hunger was then assessed at 12 p.m. Scientists found that compared to the controlled breakfast, a high-protein breakfast "produced a higher fat oxidation" during exercise and helped participants stay full afterward.
"These results highlight the impact HP-MR consumption has during and after an exercise session on energy metabolism, appetite sensations, and metabolic blood markers of healthy, normal-weight adults of both sexes, and provides further insight into the potential role of these combined strategies for weight management," the authors say.
While the soy protein, milk, and olive oil combination may not be for you, here are 19 High Protein Breakfasts That Keep You Full.
For more ways to become healthier this year, sign up for our daily email newsletter!
More content from Weight Loss
- – 6 Delicious Breakfast Pairings That Can Double Weight Loss
- – 6 Best Teas To Boost Metabolism and Lose Weight
- – 5 Worst Weight Loss Tips That End Up Aging You Faster
- – 4 High-Protein Foods for Weight Loss After 40, Says Dietitian
- – 5 Best Vegetables for Weight Loss, Say Dietitians
- – 32 Food Pairings That Can Actually Double Your Weight Loss
- – 5 Best Eating Habits To Lose Weight and Keep It Off, Say Dietitians
- – This Diet Helped People Lose 13 Pounds in 4 Months, Finds New Study