Spicy Black Pepper Shrimp Recipe with Creamy Oat Risotto
In the clip below, you’ll get a sneak peek at the favorite recipe of chef Jason Lawless (of Parizade in Durham, NC, and formerly of New York City’s White Street). Courtesy of the all-new Zero Belly Cookbook, here’s how Chef Jason prepares Black Pepper Shrimp with asparagus, creamy oats, and avocado!
Makes 4 servings
1 lb large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and heads removed (about 20 pieces)
¼ cup Black Pepper Marinade (see recipe below)
2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 tsp salt
1 cup steel cut oats
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 bunch green asparagus, white part of stems removed (about 20 spears)
¼ cup water
½ bunch fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
½ cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
½ avocado, sliced into ¼-inch cubes
How to Make it
1. Place the shrimp in a bowl with the marinade and mix well. Cover and allow to marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour or overnight.
2. In a medium pot, bring the vegetable broth and salt to a boil and reduce to low heat. Add the oats and cook over low heat, stirring every 2 minutes. Cook for about 30 minutes or until tender and creamy. If the oats get too thick, add more vegetable stock or water. Turn off the heat and cover with a lid to keep warm.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the shrimp to the pan. Cook on one side for about 2 minutes. Shake the pan every 30 seconds to make sure the shrimp don’t stick. Use a pair of tongs to flip the shrimp and cook for 2 minutes more, shaking the pan to prevent sticking.
4. While the shrimp are cooking, bring a medium pot of water to a boil, add the asparagus, and cook for about 2 minutes or until tender. Remove the asparagus from the pot using a slotted spoon or a pair of tongs.
5. Once the shrimp have cooked, add ¼ cup of water to deglaze the pan. Turn off the heat, add the cilantro, tomatoes, and avocado, and mix well.
6. Divide the cooked oats among four plates. Top with the shrimp, sliced tomatoes, and avocado. Serve with a side of asparagus.
Nutrition: 355 calories / 10 g fat / 35 g carb / 7 g fiber / 32 g protein
Black Pepper Marinade Recipe
Yield 1 cup
2 tbsp whole coriander seeds
2 tbsp whole black peppercorns
½ tbsp whole cumin seeds
6 cloves garlic, peeled
1 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced thin
3 shallots, peeled and sliced thin
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup (packed) brown sugar
How to Make it
1. Grind the coriander seeds, peppercorns, and cumin seeds in a spice grinder or clean coffee grinder until
2. Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl of a small food processor and puree until smooth. Add the ground spices and
process to incorporate.
3. Store in a glass jar in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Nutrition per tbsp: 47 calories / 3 g fat / 4 g carb / 0 g fiber / 0 g protein