Warning: 16,000+ Supermarket Foods are Laced with BPA
They may help time-strapped folks get meals on the table in record time, but jarred and canned foods aren’t always the smartest supermarket picks. While soup and beans are often overflowing with sodium, jarred fruits are often sweetened with a day’s worth of sugar. Yuck! Unfortunately, those aren’t these foods only nutritional downfalls. Piggybacking off the recent study that found that 67 percent of canned products are laced with BPA (a hormone-mimicking chemical used to prevent foods from coming in contact with the metal cans in which they’re stored), the Environmental Working Group (EWG) created a searchable database of more than 16,000 food and beverage items that contain BPA. Considering the chemical has been linked to asthma, cancer, diabetes, infertility, obesity, and even the formation of man boobs (not even kidding) this tool is truly invaluable. Not to mention, it’s an issue that effects nearly all of us—even those who appear to be the picture of health. Believe it or not, detectable levels of BPA can be found in the urine of up to 93 percent of Americans, ages six and up, according to one study.
In the database, you’ll find a whopping 16,000 canned, bottled, and jarred products (including nearly every Progresso soup you’ve probably ever tried), and 926 different brands. Curious which products made the list? Here are 20 of the most popular items we came across while browsing through the database.
• Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup
• Jif Creamy Peanut Butter Spread
• Bumble Bee Snack On the Run Fat-Free Tuna Salad
• A&W Root Beer
• Archer Farms (Target Brand) Kalamata Pitted Olives
• Aquafina Sparkling Lemon Lime
• Bush's Baked Beans Homestyle
• Butterfield Farms White Turkey
• Del Monte Fruit Cocktail
• Prego Traditional Pasta Sauce
• V8 Splash Splash Berry Blend
• Ensure Strawberry
• Fit & Active Salad Dressing
• Goya Brand Coconut Water in Glass Bottles
• Heinz Ketchup in Glass Containers with Metal Lids or in Cans
• Izze All Natural Flavored Juice Beverage Sparkling Blackberry
• Mountain Dew
• Ragu Light Parmesan Alfredo Sauce
• Lipton Brisk Iced Tea Sweet Tea
• Red Bull Energy Drink
To find out what other products you should stay away from, head over to the EWG database.